The Don Wingfield collection is a historical portfolio of more than 6,000 photos spanning the 1940s through the early 1970s. Photographs from this remarkable gallery of images were incorporated into Upper Deck sports cards and Upper Deck Authenticated products beginning in late Fall 2004 and provided an excellent synergy with their dominating presence in the retired player only product niche. Upper Deck utilized the Wingfield collection in a variety of forms and products including as an oversized 5x7 box topper. Tying this collection to such great brands as Hall of Fame, Sweet Spot Classic and Legendary Cuts was a natural fit.
Upper Deck's Wingfield Collection includes:
- More than 800 never before seen images of Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron and Whitey Ford
- Pictures of Dodger's great Roy Campanella
- Roger Maris holding up a New Yankee's jersey with the number 61 engraved on it after hitting 61 homeruns in 1961
- Portraits of Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Roberto Clemente
- Lou Gehrig playing stickball in the streets with New York city children
- Joe Morgan in a Houston Astro's uniform
- Many twentieth-century United States Presidents throwing out the first pitch at All-Star Games
The black and white photography consistent with the era, made a perfect fit for the player content and really added to Upper Deck's arsenal. Today, cards from the Wingfield collection can be found on the secondary market, however due to the popularity of 5x7 portraits, those can be difficult to find and pricey when you do.