At what point is Topps beating a dead horse and devaluing the existing Strasburg cards produced to date. Today via their Twitter account, Topps provided word that there would be yet another Stephen Strasburg produced for the company's wrapper redemption program. Limited to 999 copies in the current year's Heritage style, it will be interesting to see how these cards will fare on the secondary market. Is it just me or have you had enough of Stephen Strasburg? For starters, he isn't even an everyday position player AND he plays a position with the highest propensity for career ending injury on the entire roster. He hasn't accomplished really anything, so why do collectors seem to drool at the very thought of him in every card set?
Recouping Your Costs From The National
This year, there are two promotions at The National that will come close to, if not exceeding their cost. First is the VIP experience. Every year manufactures contribute limited edition cards for the VIP package which also includes a handful of free autographs. Other items included this year are Joe Orlando's book Collecting Sports Legends. A coffee table size, hard cover book that I reviewed here in January of last year is a great book and has decent resale value on eBay, or Amazon. Between the cards from Upper Deck, Press Pass, Panini, Freedom Cardboard and Topps, the hardcover book and 12 autographs, you could easily flip them on eBay and recoup your money.
Here is an itemized listing of everything you get as a VIP and more information:
Free Autographs from 13 selected VIP autograph guests.
- VIP autograph guests to include: Charley Taylor, Rick Dempsey, Scott McGregor, Paul Blair, Ken Singleton, Al Bumbry, Ron Hansen, Andy Etchebarren, Jim Gentile, Benny Ayala, Jim Lonborg, Ron Blomberg, Mike Rozier, Roger Carr, Bruce Laird, Mark Mosely Mike Curtis, Mel Renfro & Calvin Murphy
VIP Gift Package of promotional cards.
- Topps will provide a 4-card pack in the style of the 1960 Topps set continuing the National tradition. Cards in the Topps VIP Set include Mickey Mantle (2 different), Yogi Berra, Nolan Ryan and a special 60 Topps Cal Ripken, Jr Card commemorating his birthday 8/24/60
- Upper Deck has a 6 card VIP set with Alex Ovechkin, Joe Flacco, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Wayne Gretzky & Sidney Crosby.
- Panini will give VIPs a 6-card die-cut Crown Royale set which includes NBA Superstar Kobe Bryant, Rookies Evan Turner and Wesley Johnson and All Stars Carmelo Anthony, Derrick Rose and Brandon Jennings
- FreedomCardboard.com (FCB) will provide an exclusive Matt Wieters card from their 2010 National Set
- Press Pass will provide VIPs with a National Exclusive 6-card set including Danica Patrick, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick & Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (images below)
"Collecting Sports Legends" - a hard-cover book displaying most of the top collectibles in the sports memorabilia hobby. Written by PSA President, Joe Orlando, this book is a $34.95 value.
- Free copy of PSA's graded card price guide Sportscard Market Report with Stephen Strasburg cover
The second promotion is by Press Pass and surrounds the release of their latest TNA Wrestling product, Icons. Limited to 400 serial numbered boxes, each person who purchases a box at the Tristar booth for $129 (Guaranteed to include one limited edition TNA guest autographed card or Hulk Hogan autographed card) will receive the following:
TWO autographs AND photo op. from/with each of these TNA guests:
- Mick Foley
- Kurt Angle
- Rob Van Damn
- Velvet Sky
- Madison Rayne
- Lacey Von Erich
Other limited edition cards included. See the full details here. I have to admit I am VERY tempted to purchase the TNA box as an experiment and just might do so. Maybe.
I think I am going to be reviewing my first box of Upper Deck's The Cup for Card Corner Club upon it's release. I have always wanted to open this product and I am really excited. So stay tuned for video highlights from that.
I really want a card company to incorporate embedded audio into an autograph set. How cool would it be to hear a player re-tell, in their words, a memorable or record breaking play. The card technology exists and has been utilized in non-sport cards and is called an audiograph. Hey Upper Deck! The kings of innovation, now would be a great time, maybe in your planned College Legends product, to include a handful of players in a groundbreaking insert set. Please?!?!